Saturday, June 2, 2007

La Dolce Vita

this was definitely one of the strangest movies I've seen recently; I didnt understand all of it, but I think I got the basic gist of the film, the clearest way for me to sort it out is to list what I got and what I didnt.

Things I understood:

-the "madonna" sighting, people going crazy over it, the media using it, and some people who actually are trying to get help
-he failed as a writer, never finished the book that was mentioned, in the end he wasnt writing at all
-his dad was a womanizer, never home, he became like his father, living the same life
-his fiancee was really really upset because he was always gone, and was with other women, but didnt want to leave him
-rich people are crazy because they can be, and possibly on drugs
-he wants to hang out with his dad more than his dad wants to see him
-sex was a big part of the film

Things I dont understand:

-the signifigance of him seeing the same young waitress on the beach
-the giant sting ray, why did they pull it out of the water and just leave it? what did it mean?
-why was he feathering the drunk woman at the party in the end? is he frustrated with women? just drunk?
-what was his father sick with? Was he really sick? or did he just want to leave?
-why those people were so comfortable breaking into that mans house to party
-in the scene where they were going ghost hunting, before they got to the old building there was a statue of a minotaur, does that have a meaning? he showed it twice, slowly, in myths the minotaur was kept in a maze and virgins were basically sacrificed, until finally it was killed. But I'm not sure I can find a connection to the film, other than the fact that all these people were as far from virgins as can be. maybe its nothing, but you did say he used a lot of symbols.

closing thoughts.. Fellini certainly has an interesting style, I would be interested to see what his other films are like, even if I don't get everything that goes on

~Allie Hackett

No comments: