Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Dali and Film exhibit

During our visit to the Dali and film exhibit at the Tate Modern, I found Salvador Dali’s artwork more profound that I originally had preconceived. My favorite art displayed there was his film called “Destino,” a Disney film that was never released because of its content. This film was so amazing how it brought his artwork to life. The film showed a beautiful woman with long wavy brown hair that seemed to have a life of its own. In fact, every aspect of the film had a life of its own, from the imagery to the scenery that began to come alive throughout the film, it really made this film intriguing to watch. Dali used his unique approach to illustrate a spiraling love saga. It caught my eye, and I watched it three times to really catch every aspect of the intensity of this dark film. Even though "Destino" was made in 1946, it used a very futuristic approach to the storyline unfolding literally in front of your eyes. Another art work I also enjoyed was Dali’s drawing called “Harpo Marx." I love the fact that they were friends. I love the Marx Brothers films, and I found it interesting to see him use the image of Harpo and incorporate that into his works. I thoroughly enjoyed his work and glad we got to experience his art in person.

No comments: