Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Sketch

At the Sketch Gallery we saw a "meta film" called The Blessing. It was projected onto all four walls of the completely white gallery, and withing the film were people who were sitting in the same room and at times actually watching the the film that they were in, hence of course the term "meta film". What I took from The Blessing was that the people sitting on the couches all wearing the long colorful almost Indian looking robes were all on a religious/spiritual journey, I got a sort of cult vibe from them simply because of the matching out fits.. similar to that cult who all wore Nike shoes and black robes or capes and drank poison cool aid.. but of course the people in the film weren't killing themselves. Anyway, the whole thing came off to me as very trippy, if I had been on any sort of drug while in there I probably would have been blown away, and stayed in there all day. So the artist is connecting this drug trip idea with these images of space, and prisms that refract light, a man having a seizure (ecstasy/seeing God) the whole idea of trying to find God, or something like God. It reminds me also of Native Americans who smoke Peyote as part of spiritual ceremonies. These people sitting together on drugs searching for God in this white room. Both times we watched I would notice more things that I hadn't seen before, and I'm sure if I kept watching it I would see even more.

No comments: