Sunday, June 17, 2007

fellini: 8 1/2

What to say about Felinni’s 8 ½ ? There is so much tastefully forcefed into this film encompassing the life and love of Fellini for, of, and in film. It is somewhat of an autobiographical piece that shows much of his more intimate side. Coming into this film with no prior knowledge of Fellini, I would deduce that he had an exceptional love for women and presumably did not hold back on the amount of women he had throughout his life. The grand finale of this film is what truly made me appreciate and enjoy it for it tied the entire film together and made the viewer reminisce about each individual scene that had taken place. The circusicle(circus style) feeling in the finale relates directly to Fellini’s life. I later found this out when I was informed that he ran away to the circus as a boy and always had a great infatuation with the circus and performers. In this scene everyone that had been in any scene throughout the film walks down a walkway back into the great circus ring of Guido’s(main character who was supposed to be seen as Fellini, played by Marcello Mastroianni) life. It grabbed my attention in more ways than one and drew me into a state of reminiscence about my own life. The visual act of bringing all of the people he had known throughout his life back into the movie by walking them down a set of stairs and back into his consciousness had a powerful effect on me. It made me think of everyone that had truly had an effect on my life in either a positive or negative way. People who I had not thought about in quite sometime flooded my mind and I was overwhelmed by a sense of longing for relationships passed and friends made and lost. Lastly my family came into my mind and thoughts and I realized how amazing of a family I truly have and many times take for granted. Mother, father, and beautiful sister all a large part of my life and now are not solely seen as family who I love, but all individuals that I have learned so much from over the span of my life and learned to really appreciate their traits that have been instilled in me and the sense of individualism that they still retain and encourage in me. It surprised me how much I enjoyed this film and what a profound effect it truly had on me and the way that I wish to now interact with people and take them for who they are, for everyone has had certain events and people in their lives that make them turn out the way they do, and it truly is possible to learn something, even if it is just a little bit of patience, from everyone we interact with.
~drew woodley

No comments: