Monday, June 25, 2007

Wizard of Oz



The Wizard of Oz will always remain an all time classic. When little, each and every one of us sat down to watch as Victor Fleming introduces to us a tale of a Kansas girl whose dream is to find happiness “somewhere over the rainbow.” I admit, it had been awhile since I had seen the Scarecrow, Lion, and Tin Man along with the Wicked Witch. This time I noticed certain props I had never observed before. When Dorothy and her three unfortunate misfits went to retrieve the witch’s broom, I had never realized the scarecrow caring a gun before as well as the lion’s string being so noticeable.
If I were to give psychological approach to Fleming’s Wizard of Oz, in my opinion, Dorothy would be a main character I would psychoanalyze. Dorothy first companion, scarecrow, seemed to have a strong kinship as he was with her from beginning to end. The way I see is, the scarecrow was in a sense a father figure to Dorothy as if you watch closely you will see he stood by her and was protective throughout the film. When Dorothy became hungry he took a beating of apples so she could eat, when she grew tired of walking towards emerald city he asked for her hand to carry her, and when Dorothy was trapped in the witch’s castle he was responsible for developing the plan to sneak in and rescue her. From my observation, the scarecrow would have been nearest and dearest to Dorothy’s heart.

No comments: