Monday, June 11, 2007

Rock and Roll Cinema Park Football

Rock and Roll Cinema Park Football (A Long Overdue Blog)

When venturing to view the third season finale of Rock and Roll Cinema, I had absolutely no idea what to expect; in fact at this point, I had a very loose grasp on what a Cinetrek actually was. After filling my belly full of amazing South African barbecue chicken, my mate Drew and I went inside to begin the viewing with the rest of the class. I only chose to phrase it such as just Drew and me, because at this point I had barely known the rest of my flat mates for more than a day. Anyway, once I ventured in I found myself amidst an array of young people I seemed to relax. This was also after Dr. N calmed my mind be shooting some jokes past me. This atmosphere had a very humorous and warm feeling, which almost anyone could feel. Soon after we began to watch the films; many were good however one in particular caused me to look deeper into it and relate it to myself. This “short” of course was the shortest animation, known as Park Football. In the short, for those who forget, there is an animated football (soccer) game at a park. However, during the course of the game multiple instances occur which distract the game, or even bring the game to a dead halt. In almost every case that happened I seemed to be able to relate to in my own sporting experience.

In the beginning of the short it is just a couple people playing with a ball then more come for a game. At this point teams are chosen. When I was watching this, it immediately brought me back to elementary school when teams for sports were chosen; where there are captains, first picks, second picks, and of course last picks. Luckily I always seemed to be chosen early when I was younger, but I always felt sympathy for those chosen last, because that is such a demoralizing feeling.

Another part of the short, and a problem that occurred was distractions with animals such as birds and a dog. I feel for the animated peoples who became distracted by this. For me I have personally felt this distraction when it comes to sports, whether it was with a girl I licked who was attending my game, or a class at school that was giving me trouble. Those small distractions seemed to bring back the memories of blown games or poor performances, at the cause of a wandering mind.

Thirdly, the ball is bitten by a dog and is deflated, which causes for the people to not play anymore. Problems with equipment happen all the time in sports, and must be dealt with. Once again, I flashed back to days when I forgot my cleats, or my helmet, and was unable to practice. It seems like a very simple thing, equipment, but sometimes it can be very complicated, and even stop a sport from being played.

Finally, there is a final problem with weather in the short. This is probably the truest aspect of all problems with sports. In almost all outdoor sports weather can play a huge role in a game by sometimes determining who wins, and even in some cases end a game before it is technically supposed to. I have cursed weather multiple times before games when it is beating down bullets, and thrusting huge amounts of wind. Unfortunately for rugby players they will play in almost any conditions. The best part of it sports and weather however is, that the weather will always clear, and the game can be played another time.

This short really caused me to remind myself of the simple problems that are often overlooked by people in sports. It reminded me of personal experiences to each instance, where I could relate and recall how I was affected. The great part about sports though, is that they will always go on, and that is why I love them.

Duncan Kelm, Avid Sports Fanatic

No comments: