Sunday, June 17, 2007

a-maeda-zing

John Maeda created a completely new type of modern art gallery compared to any type that I was privy to before my visit to the Rifleman. His use of mathematics interwoven with the modern technology craze of iPods created a sort of symbiotic beauty between to elements that I would not usually think would be beautiful when they are put together. I found the sugar packets that he had programmed a program for to separate the individual sugar crystal molecules into making two separate cubes of sugar in a three dimensional looking sort of way that was truly only 2-D somewhat attractive. One main thing that I took away from this exposé was the music that I found amazingly pleasing to my ears. The artists chosen by Maeda is one of his favorite composers named Rivichi Sakamoto who is a Japanese conductor who mixes all different kinds of genres to make a very unique sound. The combination of Maeda’s artistic ingenuity and his use of Sakamoto’s orchestral talents allowed this gallery to be one that hit me in a pensive way that I truly cannot explain, but it did have a positive overwhelming impression on me that I will force me to continue to experience new artistic mediums.
~drew woodley

No comments: