Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Sacred

When I arrived at the exhibit I had no idea what to really expect. I am not in any way a religious person so I had no pre conceived expectation on what I was about to see, nor was I able to create an emotional link to the books we viewed. I did however really enjoy the exhibit. I found the images in the books to be beautiful and the writing to be so painstakingly perfect that these were not books, but works of art. They even had a section of the Dead Sea scrolls, which are the oldest; know copies of biblical scripture known to exist. The one exhibit that got me thinking more than any other work in the exhibit was a wooden crucifix with a carving of Jesus on the cross. I stared at it for a good minute while thinking about how this image is such an integral part of the faith of millions of people. I thought about how, why they would choose to represent their savior in a way that has him in agony, and how that image is the image most remembered of all the others that exist. I realized it isn’t the image itself that they find hope in, it was their belief that even in his agony he is still dying for his people and enduring the torture is the only was he can save them. Not being religious I could finally see why that image is so powerful and seen as a positive image instead of his last moments alive on earth, suffering for those who worship him.
-John Novi

No comments: