Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Con Man Confidential

Con Man Confidential

Con Man Confidential, a film by Alexander Adloph, was an eye opening film. The film which talks about the life about four different Con-Men from Germany, and their different stories, really shines light onto a world very rarely portrayed in modern life. It was fascinating how these men would take simple aspects, just as reading a person’s expressions or emotions, and turn it around to fleece them out of money. Some of the cons that were discussed seem so easy to complete; it occurred to me though that it really takes a specific person to be able to execute these scams. Some might say that it was so obvious what the men were doing but in actuality, if you trust someone, like they make you do, it is very easy to just ignore small concerns. The film really opened my eyes to how in depth and far these men were willing to go to lie, and maintain their false identity. They had been living false lives for years, and even until the minute they confessed, they considered themselves to be that person. It simply amazed me! Also it dawned on me how easily it was for these men to manipulate the trust of another person. One man even mentioned in the film, that he has trouble trusting anyone now, because he knows what can happen and how you can be severely taken advantage of. This film made me think about all those I trust, and made me considerer what if one was really just trying to gain my trust to take advantage of me. This is definitely not true, but it just makes you think about who your friend is really, and who is trying to screw you over. Fantastic documentary and really opened my eyes to what the real life George Clooney’s and Brad Pitt’s (Ocean’s 11-13) are like.
-Duncan Kelm

No comments: