Wednesday, June 13, 2007

The Fountain

The Fountain

The film The Fountain directed by Darren Aronofsky, looks into love, as well as other aspects to how the world functions. The set up for this show honestly made me feel very “posh,” as we were served appetizers and champagne before the show even began. Having a slightly happy buzzing feeling going into the film, I had no idea what to expect, however coming away from the film I was deeply moved. The film focuses on the lives of two people Tom (Hugh Jackman), and Izzi (Rachel Weisz). It takes a look at their spirits different lives set in three different time periods. This aspect of three ongoing stories about the same people, only separated by time opened my mind to reincarnation. This film does not strictly focus on reincarnation; however it is somewhat of an underlying theme. I began to think about what if I was something before I am now, and what if I will become something different in the future. It is a very mind opening task thinking of this, and it allowed me to almost become one with the film at that time. I was so transfixed by the film and the question that what if I was in one of their shoes that I could not turn. I have to admit that the film opened my eyes slightly too fantastic possibilities and thought about being in the world more than once. Te film asks questions about endless impossibility, and opens the mind to feeling of present as well as the past. I believe that the acting was superb, and added to this mysterious unknown effect. I have to say I was deeply moved by this film, and would recommend it to almost anyone.

-Duncan Kelm

No comments: