Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Tate Modern

Ok, i'll be the first to admit that I came into this thinking that all modern art was crap (some of it literally is, how can someone can their shit and call it art?) But once I was at the building, I was really enjoyed that place. First off, using a power plant as an art gallery (especially one as striking as that) was brilliant. I felt the building looked like some sinister government building out of the Soviet era, not something associated with interesting, if not good art. I think the building itself makes a statement. As a powerstation, it was ugly; as a museum, it is full of life and beautiful in its own right, something that belongs in London.

Moving onto the innards, I didn't see any snobbish, elitist types praising any can of shit as art. Most of who I saw was school children and curious tourists, those wanting to see what the art of today looks like. Sure a lot of it can't be interpreted, but that's a moot point. My major point here is not all modern art is that loathesome urinal put on display. Most of it WAS put into a 2D frame, and most of it did take a lot of skill and talent, well-made. I liked it. The Picaso next to the Pollock is a good contemporary.

The Dali exhibit was well worth its own tour. I never appreciated him for more than melting clock, but after seeing Destino, I admit that I am a fan of him now. Disney + Dali = Surrealist fantasy. Plus that was a sweet 'stash.

I'll stick a sock in it now.

Elliot Rowe

No comments: