Sunday, June 17, 2007

Sacred: a new found appreciation

Faith: what exactly is it? How do the ideas of morality and living through a “religion” get instilled in our mind? Perhaps I have never been able to come to terms with “faith” because my background never ensued it. Attending Sunday school and Monday night Hebrew school were a common ritual. We would drink the “wine” (I’m sure I had grape juice even though I would think it was wine) and break the bread. I suppose that can be faith? Once I hit ten and my grandmother passed away, these ideas were never there. Perhaps there is always a key person in one’s life who is the totem pole, the one who makes you understand what you believe in and be proud of it. My faith slowly diminished (I know what I am, but my mom never enforced us going to main celebrations). Going to Sacred brought forth feelings which I have never really felt before, exposing the child in me wanting to learn and be a part of the larger community.

Seeing some of the “sacred” texts brought a new light and appreciation for what religion stands for. We can look at the intricate art work, such as the floral borders of the Lisbon Bible, and wonder who actually did it and how long it took them. We can look at the gold leafing and gaze at its beauty asking how much patience can a person have to gold plate each letter on a page. Not only can I appreciate it for it’s beauty, but the unity of religion during that time brings an emotional connection, even to an individual who has a limited religious faith.So much was put into each piece, how can this not bring appreciation? My ancestors were these people. My ancestors were able to relay our history through verbal stories before the texts I saw were ever made. After seeing the exhibit, it becomes impossible to not have appreciation for what I am, or for that matter, what others are. Religion has become very detached, not being a part of many individuals lives. Perhaps this is because how often can you see your history on paper? When do you get to appreciate the people before you who established what you believe in? I always wonder what would have happened if I still went to Synagogue and if I got my bat mitzvah. All I can think is things happen for a reason, and it is never too late to start where I left off.

-Blythe St.Martin

No comments: