Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Fetish Fair

My outlook on the fetish fair is most likely very different from that of anyone else who went. Growing up in a Christian school and attending church, sometimes even Mormon services, would definitely give someone an interesting view of the underground sex culture that we experienced. To say the least, it was uncomfortable. And why shouldn’t it be? When you are taught that sex is beautiful and special and anything but painful, how could you even come close to comprehending the idea that getting whipped could feel good? Now, I’m not going to pretend that I lead the most righteous of lives. My alcoholic tendencies would give that one away. But there is a set of morals or beliefs that become embedded in nearly everyone’s lives and certain things can cross the line or take you outside of your comfort zone.

Now, despite my oncoming illness, there were a couple of things that I noticed with cultural anthropologist’s eyes. For one thing, there was a lack of attractive people. It seemed to me that this cultural phenomenon was a breeding ground for social outcasts. One example would be the female (male?) hunchback leading her older, extremely overweight boyfriend around on a leash. It might just be me, but I’m fairly certain the average person would not easily accept this. Second of all, pain seemed to be the theme throughout the fair. Most of the tables sold objects that looked extremely painful and others were just downright torturous. I’m not sure how Lauren sat through nearly ten minutes of electrical stimulation because my one moment of it made me think- now, who in their right mind would find this sexually arousing? I’m not sure this question was ever answered, but after these observations, my conclusion was “to each his own.” I may never come to understand it, but it was good to see a side of culture that brought me so far out of my comfort zone.

No comments: