Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Vicky Christina Barcelona

The film we watched last night was Vicky Christina Barcelona. I had heard a lot about the film and honestly did not know what to expect. I ended up enjoying it very much. It was a pretty unusual film, but that is to be expected from a Woody Allen film. Honestly, I think it is a great advertisement for travelling to Spain. It makes people curious if people there are really like the ones shown in the film. Obviously there huge cultural differences in many different aspects of their lives, and I think their ways of showing affection are greatly different from ours. I knew someone from Spain, and he acted very much like the man in the movie, Juan Antonio. He was very affectionate with women, and for lack of a better word, very forward. Juan Antonio walked straight up to Vicky and Christina and told them his intentions. Although this is completely unacceptable in American culture, one has to wonder if this is actually better than a man or woman hiding their intentions at first in order to make themselves appear better. This is the tactic that is usually used in American culture. Is that better or is it better to just lay it all out on the table at the beginning? I still don’t know which one I think is better. But here in Europe I have definitely noticed that people are more forward than they are in the US. They are also more affectionate, like Juan Antonio in the film. Public displays of affection are not a big deal here like they are in the US. That is one thing that this film made me notice here.

No comments: