Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Fugitive Pieces

The film we watched, Fugitive pieces, was an excellent film, although it left my heart feeling a little heavy. I think the most important aspect of the film in terms of cinematography would have to be that the film was not in chronological order. It jumped around from present day all the way back to Jakob’s childhood. I think it was good that it was done in this way because it let us see the story the way Jakob saw it. It also kept us guessing. I had no idea what was going to happen next. I like that in films. I can’t stand when films are predictable. It showed us different clips of different memories Jakob had. Since this was a film that was mostly about memories, it is important to have the format of the film done in a way that someone may actually store their memories in their brains. Another film that is not done in chronological order that has to do with memories is Memento. Using this style of filming, with flashbacks and such, is a great way to portray memories.
A memory that this film evoked in me is the relationship that me and my younger brother had. Bella and Jakob were so close in the film, and he really looked up to her. My younger brother and I were never that close when we were younger, but now that we are both growing older, we have developed a closer relationship, and we talk a lot more now than we used to. I sometimes wish that we could have had as close as a relationship that the characters in the film did, but unlike them, I still have my brother around. I get to keep our relationship going, and so for that I am glad.

No comments: