Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Vibe Bar

I found the Vibe Bar very interesting. I am so glad we all got to go there and get out of our little Kensignton bubble. I love living in Kensignton, but it was amazing to get to see another part of the city. I loved how it was in such an old building but most of the people there were young people around my age. The neighborhood it was located in was very interesting. I almost felt uncomfortable in certain parts but I quickly realized that it is usually in places like that that you can find the best little places. I would probably not have ventured out there on my own, but with the help of John Makey and the TA Kevin, I feel I know the area enough to go back. The cultural aspect of it at first did not seem very different from American bar culture, until I got inside. The bartenders were all of different cultures. Some were British, some were Spanish, some Italian, it was just crazy how many different countries were represented. At most bars in the US alot of people go out to bars to "pick up". As a lady, alot of guys come up and talk to me and my group of friends, whether it be just to talk or to pick up. I don't think I've ever been out to a bar or a club where guys don't talk to us. I noticed here, that is not the case. People just want to have a good time, and enjoy a beer or two. It is a great way for people to socialize, almost like the equivalent of Americans having coffee. People usually come with their friends, and I noticed that they stick with that group of friends the whole night. The vibe bar may have been like that too because they had all those tables set up outside, so people just sat down and relaxed. Even inside, people were sitting down just enjoying their drinks. I am so used to mingling at bars, that came as quite a shock to me. One thing I noticed too was the way people were dressed. People in London are so trendy. Their clothes are unlike anything I have ever seen, except maybe in high fashion magazine. They are very daring, using alot of different colors and styles from many eras. They coordinate every aspect of their outfits, from their shoes and accessories to even their hair. It makes me feel like my clothing is so boring. I even got to chat with a British man, and we asked him good places to go out and meet local people. He said that he had moved to the area we were in 5 or so years ago, and it was becoming much too commercialized. It was funny he said that because we had talked about that on our walking tour. He told us about some parks some locals go to to hang out and such. I was really glad we finally got to talk to someone local, and he could give us his insight on things. We even got to talking about politics with him.... I won't even go into that conversation. Overallk, the Vibe Bar opened my eyes to a few cultural aspects of London I probably would

1 comment:

Chelsea Brazil said...

for some reason the end of this got cut off.... but I mean to say "I would probably not have realized before."