Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Fugitive Pieces Reflection



The film Fugitive Pieces was not only an extremely well done movie, but it also was a very impacting cinematic work, on not only myself but many of my peers. For me it awoke many dormant memories of situations in my past that previously were difficult to let go of, but eventually were lost in time. The most dramatic part of the movie for me was Jakob Beers parents’ abandonment from him in an attempt to save the boy. This for me continuously evoked memories of my mother and her departure from my brother and me when I was the age of the Jakob.

This memory only momentarily awoke in the beginning of the film because I have not thought of her in the past fourteen years. However throughout the movie Jakob consistently dreamt of his sister and where she could possibly be, which in turn stirred memory after memory of my sister who lived with my mother. This for me was the most touching aspect of the film, because it forced me to consider what might have been if she had not left, however it also reinstilled the anger that I have fourteen years prior when she first left without a word. As well as the desire for nothing but health and happiness for my sister.

In the end however I believe that his content and happiness he eventually found matches well with the happiness that I eventually found living with my brother and father for these past years. Although my mother and sister are not at all prominent in my life like that of Jakob’s, the alternative in the end ultimately is the best conclusion to a sad story, and has only forced me to grow as a person, and open opportunities for future growth.

No comments: