Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Fugitive Pieces

First of all, the movie Fugitive Pieces was phenomenal. I will admit that my initial expectations about a movie that never made it to the “big screen” were low. I thought that actors who did not star in blockbuster films would be comical in their acting. My expectations were completely contradicted, however, when I saw this film. In fact, I would have to say that the film’s acting was some of the best I have ever seen.

The image that stuck out the most to me was when Jakob was covered in leaves and dirt and Athos picks up Jakob’s tiny little body and saves him from almost certain death. The thing that struck me was how much compassion this man had for a child he did not know. The miniature body, skinny, pale, and freezing looked so small in Athos’ wonderfully strong, safe arms. The quickness with which Athos sees Jakob in the forest and immediately rushes to his side is incredible and thought provoking. If we all had as much love and consideration as Athos did for Jakob, would so many children have died in the concentration camps? Or even in third-world countries in today’s society? I was intrigued by the fact that Athos never had a second thought about taking the child home and raising him as his own. This movie really spoke to me on this point and made me think about how much compassion I have in my own heart. Would I do the same thing in a similar situation? Would you?

No comments: