Thursday, June 25, 2009

FUGITIVE PIECES

The Movie Fugitive Pieces was packed full of emotional scenery that helps the viewer gain insight to the horrible war crimes that the Nazis committed not only in Poland but all over Europe. Going into this movie I had a naked slate on what to expect, but after this movie I was full of vivid imagery and stories that my grandmother told during WWII. My grandmother is an amazing woman! She helped raised me when my parents were working full time in order to put food on the table for my sister and I she was there. Nan, as I call her, has always been a caring person and this is how she has been through all of her life. When my grandmother lived in London during WWII and during the Nazi blitz of central London I remember talking to her about how one minute you would be above ground and the next minute you would hear deafening sirens telling everybody to get below ground because Nazi Luftwaffe were coming. She told me this happened numerous of times but she never went into grave detail until about two years ago when we were having tea. I was planning my first trip to England and wanted some advice on things to do in London so my grandmother and I started talking about her time there and what she missed. Then I brought up the topic about the air raids over central London then I vividly remember her saying to me “Well Alexander I guess you are old enough to hear this” she went on telling me that during one of the first bombings when she was running to get to the underground and she was with her friend Jolene and just before she got below a bomb went off about 50 yards away from her spraying derbies that knocked her down. As she got up dazed and confused she realized her friend was on the ground unconscious, later my grandmother found out that Jolene died from internal bleeding. After my grandmother told me this story I was silent, what does one say after a story like that. Then my grandmother went on drinking her tea.

When I see any type of WWII movie I think of my grandmother and the story she told me that day, a story that I also think about when I am with her and. In less than four weeks my grandmother and my family are coming to London and sometimes I think to myself is my grandmother going to be able to overcome such a traumatic event? For both of us I hope it brings a type of closure for her.

No comments: